June 26, 2021 at 8:14 amSachinpdlSubscriber
Issue: The stress on F&D head is extremely high in ANSYS Workbench as compared to ASME VIII Div-1 calculation.
Vessel OD: 96”, 106” Seam-Seam
Pressure: 105 psi
Material: SA-24 316L
I did ANSYS analysis for F&D (ASME 80:10) head. The obtained Eq. stress was 35,000 psi (Membrane stress: 25k) which is extremely high as compared to code calculation. Code calculation gives 14,000 psi.
I performed a similar comparison with the 2:1 Ellipsoidal head. The ANSYS Eq. Stress was 18,000 psi (Membrane Stress: 12,000 psi). This is close to code calculation, code calculation gives 11,500 psi stress.
Also, there was high stress (30k psi) in SUPPORT LEG for the F&D head and just 9k in the ellipsoidal head.
The setup and procedure of analysis were the same for F&D and Ellipsoidal head but there was a high deviation from the code calculation in the case of F&D head while analysis of Ellipsoidal head is in line with code calculation.
PS: I have ignored stress concentrated at a point due to singularity.June 29, 2021 at 6:05 am1shanAnsys EmployeeViewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
Top Rated Tags
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.