Electronics

Electronics

Thermal Simulation of MOSFETs

Tagged: , ,

• sder
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm trying to run a thermal simulation of a PCB and I'm especially interested in the MOSFETs. For the DC IR Drop Analysis I replaced the MOSFETs with resistors which worked well. Then I start the Icepak Simulation in SIwave. When I do the Simulation Setup and check the Box "Include" (Component Configuration Tab) of the new added resistors (which are supposed to approximate the thermal behavior of the MOSFETs), I get temperatures of over 200°C which is far too high. I'm not sure what is the issue here.

Thank you

• Satyajeet Padhi
      Ansys Employee
      Hi,
      I think your boundary conditions may not be set correctly. If the heat generated is not dissipated properly then the temperatures obtained can be higher.

• sder
      Subscriber
      Hi thank you for your reply. I'm not sure which boundary conditions that might be though? What exactly do you mean? (I'm simulating with 12V and 250A)
      Thank you!
    • sder
      Subscriber
      Also when I want to include the resistors in my Icepak simulation I cannot change the power dissipation of them and it seems a bit too high there already. I'm not sure if I even need to include the resistors again, since they're already included in the DC IR Drop analysis and Icepak is working with that data. So maybe I would be including them twice?
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.