Feedback

Feedback

Thermal simulator to model experiments

• laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber

I am measuring temperature at and below the water sediment interface (WSI) using fibre optic cables. This is being done using large tanks and I am using a heating tape (attach to the temperature sensors) to measure how the heat pulses propagate with time, during heating and cooling periods. The objective is first to obtain the data (measurements) in different sediment types and at different sediment levels below the WSI. Then, use a thermal simulator to match the data.  I have read and watched some info on the Internet about Ansys and believe I can model these experiments with Ansys, but I would like to get your opinion. Thanks in advance. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      We can do a lot with the various tools, but need a problem definition to figure out how to do it. Heat transfer in pure solids (no fluid flow) can be done in Mechanical: if fluids also flow then we'd use CFD (probably Fluent).
    • laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber
      Thanks Rob.
      In my experiments water is static in the tanks. However, there is heat convection, particularly when the heating tape is at the water-sediment interface. is it still ok to use Mechanical?? Thanks in advance.
      Best regards Laureano
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Convection (flow) due to buoyant effects or conduction? We can apply boundary conditions in Mechanical to estimate a heat loss to water, or do it properly with CFD: the former is quick but may be less accurate, the latter is accurate but will take longer to run.
    • laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber
      Rob Thanks a lot for your reply and additional info.
      I consider there is flow due to buoyancy effect when heating the water-sediment interface (WSI). At the beginning of the heating pulse, the temperature rises very quickly; then, it essentially remains constant for the rest of the pulse (4 hr). This is attributed to mass expansion that makes molecules to segregate up and cooler molecules (heavier) segregate down.
      I would be also interested to model the heat transfer from water to sediment. I have noticed that when heating the sediment, the temperature rises at a similar rate independently of the sediment thickness above the heating tape and sensor. However, I have observed that after finishing the heating pulse, in sediment, the cooling rate in faster if the heating tape and the sensor are closer to the WSI. What approach do you think will capture this better? Thanks in advance.
      Best regards Laureano
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Have a look at what the CFD codes will do, and do the tutorials. Modelling several hours is a non-trivial calculation so you may want to consider a steady solution to start with.
    • laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber
      Thanks a lot Rob. Ok, I'll start with that.
      In my previous message I meant to say "volume expansion" not mass expansion, sorry!!!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      No worries, we appreciate that terminology can get muddled, especially if English isn't a first language.
    • erickwilson37
      Subscriber
      The melting rate of round and square steel bars with various initial temperatures and sizes, and steel bars immersed in a liquid steel bath with different temperatures were studied.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.