General Mechanical

General Mechanical

(Thermal-Structural) Pressure dependent heat generation

• AY2016
      Subscriber

Hello every body,

I am trying to model a contact that generates heat depending on the pressure that is being applied.

I couldn't find the tools to model this in standard "Structural Mechanics" of WB so I tried using "Thermal-Structural" from "PiezoAndMEMS" ACT extension. Still I couldn't make the heat generation linked to pressure.

Is it possible to write an APDL code for this.

Could you give some suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Thanks,

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

What physical phenomenon generates heat due to pressure?

ANSYS simulates physics.  You can generate heat by having contact pressure with relative motion where there is frictional contact between the bodies.

• AY2016
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply,

Electrical contact resistance which leads to heat generation is linked to the contact pressure. I tried "Structural-Thermoelectric" feature, still I couldn't get the pressure dependent heat generation.

I did get it by using Structural analysis and Thermoelectric analysis one after another and so on by continue transferring the results from one to another but it takes a lot of time and it is not easy to reach an stability at the end.

Another problem was applying it on an axisymmetric model.

• AY2016
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply,

Electrical contact resistance which leads to heat generation is linked to the contact pressure. I tried "Structural-Thermoelectric" feature, still I couldn't get the pressure dependent heat generation.

I did get it by using Structural analysis and Thermoelectric analysis one after another and so on by continue transferring the results from one to another but it takes a lot of time and it is not easy to reach an stability at the end.

Another problem was applying it on an axisymmetric model.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.