General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Three Point Bending Test of Honeycomb structure

• vkumarsingh388
      Subscriber

Hey,

I  want to do 3 point bending test on honeycomb structure according to astm c393 but i don't know  how to do it ,

I have made honeycomb structure using surfaces.

The whole structure consists of surfaces.

I don't know whether to do it by making rollers or by without making rollers.

I have to do  Three Point Bending test both static and fatigue.

i need to validate this paper:- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1018364717310339

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Note: vkumarsingh388 has read this Discussion and needs more help.

I recommend you do everything I said in that discussion, which includes a displacement boundary condition that represents a frictionless "roller" support.

What specifically do you not know how to do?

• AchilleasMil
      Subscriber

Hey,

The best thing you can do is use the symmetry of the sandwich panel as suggested in the other post (1/4th or 1/2 of the probe), then to apply the force as suggested also with a remote force boundary condition choosing the preffered behavior between coupled and deformable while for the supports, what I found closer to reality was just to apply a remote displacement boundary condition on the center/middle line of the (imaginary) support rollers with only the Z Deformation set as zero and all the others free. 

If you want to get more closer to the C393 ASTM rules you could check out giving a remote displacement on the middle top of the sandwich which would change constantly in relevance with the time, with a given velocity as given from the norm. That could be as said the case if you don't want to give a force value of your own.

That's a nice paper really curious how you found it..? Thanks!

Best regards,

Achilleas

• vkumarsingh388
      Subscriber

How can i apply force or displacement along a line in middle of face as i have tried to draw a line on face in DM and after transmititng it to Mechanical it just disappear.

Hey AchilleasMil, do you find any tutorial that can help me in this because i have never use remote force or displacement before (I am new to simulation).

BTW i found that paper by searching on google, I have downloaded so many papers on honeycomb and accidently i found this one also.

Here is the link to zip file of geometry:- Rar

• vkumarsingh388
      Subscriber
      Hey peter I have tried to draw the line on face of geometry for applying force on it but it just disappear, do i am forgotting something?
      Please suggest me, i have watched your video on ANSYS FEA EXAMPLE channel on youtube.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.