Fluids

Fluids

Time dependant boundary conditions (convection) in Fluent

• laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber

Hello Fluids community,
      I just started using Fluent and I am trying to find a way to import observed ambient temperature as wall boundary condition (convection). I have a tank model and I want to import measured air temperatures to model heat transfer to a tank that contains water and sand. I modelled this case with Mechanical, but I want to see the effect of water movement (due to temperature changes) on sand thermal propagation.
      I couldn’t find a tabular data option (as in the case of Mechanical) in the thermal tap of the fluent boundary condition definition.

I will appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Please have a look into Fluent User's Guide Chapter Profiles to learn about deploying spatial profiles. CSV file with your data is the way to go. One the profile has been read into Ansys Fluent you can then hook it in the "Free Stream Temperature" field.

• laureano.gonzalez
        Subscriber

Hi Dr Amine,

I tried to hook the profile (udf/profile) in the Free Stream Temperature dropdown menu, but it just allows me to choose one option (air-temperature time or air-temperature temperature). Could you provide any hint? thanks in advance.

• laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber

Hi DrAmine,

Thanks for your help. I created the temperature csv file according to the format mentioned in the User's guide, but I am getting the message on the image. Any idea where the problem is?? 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Check the file in something like Notepad++. The example from the manual I can load without any issues

[Name]
      transient-temperature
      [Data]
      time,temperature

and looks like this in Excel:

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

In the Excel screen grab I think you skipped the "delimited" step in the file import. 

• laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber

Now, it worked. Thanks a lot.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Welcome and Happy Modeling!

• laureano.gonzalez
      Subscriber

Thanks.

I am still struggling trying to hook the profile to the Free Stream Temperature as it just allows me to choose one option (air-temperature time or air-temperature temperature). Could you provide any hint? thanks in advance.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You hook the temperature from the profile.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.