General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topology optimization displacement constraint

• Liansensha
      Subscriber

The objective of my optimization is mass minimize and the response constraint is the max displacement of the part.The result of optimization show the max total deformation has been more than the max displacement.I want to the reason.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Assuming that Analysis system W5 is a validation case?

I can think of 2 reasons:

• While Displacement and Deformation are similar concepts for a well-constrained body. There is a small discrepancy, Displacement is the distance from which one node or element (beam, column, frame, etc) moved from its original location (can include rigid body motion). Deformation is the actual distortion that occurs to a structural member. I would recommend looking at the user-defined results such as nodal locations (LOC and LOC_DEF) which can be specified from the Worksheet.

• The Response Constraint is being Specified in the Nodal Coordinate system, it looks like you are evaluating the deformation in the Global Coordinate system.

• Liansensha
      Subscriber

Thanks so much for your suggestion! i'll have a try.

• Liansensha
      Subscriber

W5 is a validation case

• Liansensha
      Subscriber

This is the explaination of displacement constraint in topology optimization.   

Is it mean that I use the response constraint to limit the max displacement of the part optimizaed?  I'm feeling puzzled now 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.