General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topology optimization results

• Clement08
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible with Ansys to get the result from an optimization process like this :

For now, i'm getting something close to it using the user defines result TOPO.

Thank you,

Clément

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't understand your question.  Yes it is possible.

• Clement08
      Subscriber
      Sorry for my english.

I would like to draw a graph similar to this one.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You can do a Topology Optimization to create structures like the one you show in the image.

You start with a definition of there you have to hold the part and load the part, and the available space for the part. Then the Topology Optimization will solve for where the material has to remain to support the load.

• Clement08
      Subscriber

My question is about the graph above. I have done a Topology Optimization analysis and now, i would like to draw a graph similar to the one above. The classic graph returned by the process is not that smooth and it's not symmetric which seems to be a bit strange.

I guess I need to add a user defined result like the one I'm using (=TOPO) to get the density map but I didn't find any information about that on the Internet.

Thank you for your help !

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The difference between your result and the image at the top of the discussion is mesh shape and size.  Mesh with quad (2D or hex in 3D) elements and use a smaller element size and you will get a solution that is smoother and more symmetric.

• Clement08
      Subscriber

ok thank you for your advice

And do you know if it is possible to draw a graph showing only elements with a density equal to 1 for example ? 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Clement,

Plotting elements with a density equal to 1 is not useful.

You want to plot elements that have a density greater than 0.6 or 0.8 or any other number.

If you plot Topology Density, you get to choose that value based on Nodal Results and that results in a smooth outline.

If you plot Topology Elemental Density, you get to choose that value based on Element Results and that results in complete element outline.

• Clement08
      Subscriber

Ok thanks again for the help !

Last question : what did you do to get your second graph, this is exactly what i want ? Is it a user defined result ?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

This is one of the standard available results, and is also available as a User Defined Result ETOPO

• Clement08
      Subscriber

I don't know if I have to open a new discussion about that so if it's the case tell me.

I would like to know a bit more about the topological optimization process. On Ansys website there is no information about what kind of algorithms are used by Ansys to optimize parts. I have seen that the classic algorithm (solid isotropic material with penalization method) can lead to errors when applied to a dynamic case. So do you know where I can find more information about the algorithm used by Ansys to optimize natural frenquencies of a part ? 

Thank you !

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.