3D Design

3D Design

Transfer value/parameter from Design Modeler to Mechanical

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Let's call x a value/parameter that I calculate in "Design Modeler > Parameter Editor tab". I want this value (or 2x or 1/2x or whatever) to use it as the input of displacement in Mechanical. 
      Now the part where it gets complicated is that displacement will be applied in steps, meaning there is a tabular data for displacement input. However, these data will still be dependent on that x value.

Regards,

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Jon,

The Parameter doesn't come from DesignModeler, it is created directly in the Parameter Set in Mechanical.
      Below you can see one parameter DS_disp that came from DesignModeler, but that is only for changing geometry.
      When you create a Displacement BC and click the P button next to the value you type, it shows up in the Parameter Set.

It's not possible to have a  multistep solution with Parameter inputs. I have hit that question myself.

Regards,

Peter

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jon, 

As Peter said, it is not possible natively to have a multistep load as a parameter. 

But, you can use an App (ACT extension) called "MultiStep Parametric Loads" from the Ansys App store at the below link. 

https://catalog.ansys.com/product/5b3bc6857a2f9a5c90d32e84/multistep-parametr

This can support parametrization of loads such as Force, Pressure, Moment, and Displacement.

I tested this in v19.2 and it works well. Below is a snapshot of parametrization of Y displacement in a two step simulation. 

Ofcourse, we can always use APDL commands to parametrize the loads in a multistep analysis, by defining the loads via APDL commands instead of GUI.

Best regards,

Rohith

• jonsys
      Subscriber

thank you Rohith,

that app was really helpful; I didn't know such things existed.

As I can see, this app is not created from ANSYS. How "safe" is to use these apps?

Regards,

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Jon,

In general, they are safe, but, I would say, use it with caution and validate it first. 

Best regards,

Rohith

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.