General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Transient Thermal Analysis Setup Problems

• Anurag4
      Subscriber
      I want to analyse the heat transfer and thermal map across a thick cylinder. We have measured temperature with respect to time on the surface of the cylinder. How do i set this up?nI have a 3mm*3mm thick cylinder. The Intial temperature is at 28 Degree C, The cycle time is 0.2 seconds. The surface temperature raises to about 280 degree C and comes back to 75 degree C.When i setup the analysis, it shows me that there is negative temperatue at the centre of the pin.n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nCylinders are axisymmetric 3D objects, and if the loading is axisymmetric, then it is an advantage to analyze this in 2D using an Axisymmetric model. That means you use the Y axis as the axis of rotation and create a surface of the radial slice on the XY plane on the +X side of the Y axis. nIn Workbench, drag and drop a Transient Thermal analysis into the Project window. Click on the Geometry cell and in the Properties window on the right, change the Analysis Type from 3D to 2D. Then double click on the Model cell. Click on the Geometry branch and set the type to Axisymmetric.nWhat are the boundary conditions on the cylinder faces?nHere is a discussion on how to adjust model constants to match experimental data: nhttps://forum.ansys.com/discussion/719/feeding-experimental-data-temperature-in-to-ansys-to-get-conductivityn
    • Anurag4
      Subscriber
      Thanks, I got it to work. n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nYou marked your post as the accepted answer, but I provided the answer.n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.