Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Trouble getting AnsysEM 19.1 to install silently

• ttinker
      Subscriber

I am attempting to create a silent installation of AnsysEM 19.1, to install on Windows 10.  I have gone through the process of creating the response file, and copied it to the AnsysEM folder in the install media.  However, when I push the software out via a script, or just run a command and point to the setup.exe and the .iss file, the installation fails.  It goes through the entire process of installing, but at the end, it deletes all of the subfolders from the C:Program FilesAnsysEM directory, except for the admin folder.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi ttinker@georgiasouthern.edu

Do you have any space after -f1 or -f2 flags ? 

They must not have space , for example

setup.exe -s -f1response_file.iss -f2log_file.log

However, the fact that it goes through the install might indicate that you have the silent command correctly. Please check if you have any kind of software that 'restore' the state of the machine (check with IT if you are not sure). Also, check if you have enough disk space on that directory.

Does it provide any error message ?

Thank you,

Win

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Thank you for the quick reply.  I do not have any spaces in the command, after -f1 or -f2.  We do not have any restore software on these machines either.  There is also plenty of disk space available (400GB free).  

When I run the install from our script, I get the following exit code:

• Exit code: -2147213312

When I run the command straight from the AnsysEM directory, setup.exe -s -f1response_file.iss -f2log_file.log

• ResultCode=-3

Running the install either way, results in the same thing...after it finishes installing, it deletes all of the folders under C:Program FilesAnsysEM, except for .admin.  During the installation, I can see that the other folders are populating in Program Files.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Just for a kick, can you try this on one of the machines and see if it helps ?

Inside the Electronics package, go into 'Prerequisites' folder and manually install all prerequisites one-by-one (except for those related to MPI), then reboot the machine and try silent install.

If this helps, you are experiencing a similar issue with installing prerequisites as stated here

https://community.microstrategy.com/s/article/KB30612-quot-InstallShield-Silent-Version-v7-00-File-Log-File

Thank you,

Win

• ttinker
      Subscriber

All of the prerequisites, besides the MPIs, are installed.  Just for the heck of it, I ran through them all and had the executable repair the installations...just in case.  Then I restarted the machine and ran the setup.  Same issue happened again, after that.  Would you like me to attach the response file?  I can just redact the name of the server used for the network license.

• Mangesh Bhide
      Ansys Employee

Can you please post a screenshot of your .iss file

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Yes, please copy and paste the content of the response file in the post.

Thank you,

Win

• ttinker
      Subscriber

[InstallShield Silent]

Version=v7.00

File=Response File

[File Transfer]

OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DlgOrder]

Dlg0={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdWelcome-0

Count=10

Dlg1={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdLicense-0

Dlg2={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdAskDestPath-0

Dlg3={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKTEMPDIROPTION-0

Dlg4={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKLIBRARYOPTION-0

Dlg5={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_INTEGRATEWITHWB-0

Dlg6={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKLICENSEOPTION-0

Dlg7={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKSERVERNAMES-0

Dlg8={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdStartCopy-0

Dlg9={191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdFinish-0

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdWelcome-0]

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdLicense-0]

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdAskDestPath-0]

szDir=C:Program FilesAnsysEM

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKTEMPDIROPTION-0]

sTempPath=C:UsersPublicAppDataLocalTemp

bChangeAccess=1

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKLIBRARYOPTION-0]

nUseExistingLib=0

sLibPath=

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_INTEGRATEWITHWB-0]

l3_IntegrateWithWB=0

DlgRetValue=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKLICENSEOPTION-0]

nLicenseOption=2

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-DLG_ASKSERVERNAMES-0]

nServerCount=1

sServer1=

sServer2=' '

sServer3=' '

bSpecifyTCPPort=1

sTCPPortNumber=1055

Result=1

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdStartCopy-0]

Result=1

[Application]

Name=ANSYS Electromagnetics

Version=19.1.0

Company=ANSYS, Inc.

Lang=0409

[{191CF888-0E4E-40D8-90C5-6C459A7E864A}-SdFinish-0]

Result=1

bOpt1=0

bOpt2=0

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

During the silent installation, do you see anything being written to C:UsersPublicAppDataLocalTemp  ?

• ttinker
      Subscriber

No, nothing gets copied to that directory while it is trying to install.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Check if that path is accessible and writable

Also, on this line

sServer1=

Not sure why your response file doesn't specify the name of the license server. Please replace  with the correct license server name

• ttinker
      Subscriber

I just redacted the license server name, but it's correct in our .iss file.  I have admin access to that temp path on all machine that it will be installed on.  I can try a different path, however...just in case.

• ttinker
      Subscriber

I ended up changing it to a folder that all users have write access in, but it still failed to install.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

That would be a good test.

Also try temporarily disable all anti-virus software or any security stuff on the machine and make sure that you issue the silent install command in an elevated CMD Prompt

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

I forgot to emphasize that before each attempt to rerun the silent install, please remove this folder C:Program FilesAnsysEM that got created

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Oh yea, I've been removing that folder and running from elevated cmd.  Unfortunately, we do not have the rights to disable the anti-virus on the domain machines, but I can try on a machine that's not on the domain, as a test.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Thank you for the information.

Please let us know how it goes on the machine without the AV.

I have verified that you response file content is exactly correct.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

If that doesn't help, I have heard another suggestion from my colleague 

before attempting another silent install ,  wipe  %temp% and C:UsersPublicAppDataLocalTemp

also, see if there is any log file created from f2 flag. Please specify the absolute path like setup.exe -s -f1response_file.iss -f2"C:Templog_file.log"

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Thank you for the suggestions.  I was able to get it silently installed on a couple non-domain-joined machines.  One was freshly imaged, and was unable to install while joined, but as soon as I took it off the domain, I was able to install using the script.  I forgot to disable the AV, but it still ended up working.  Not sure exactly what is causing this issue.  I understand it is now our problem since something with the domain seems to be preventing the install, but have y'all come across something like this before?

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Thank you for the info. I'm also not sure what happened. Let's see if others have any thoughts on this.

One thing that can help us narrowing down the issue is, can you try (on one machine that's not working with silent install while on domain) installing it using the GUI ?

If it works, it means there is some 'response' difference during the installation between on and off domain. 

If it doesn't work, something is really preventing it while it's connecting to domain.

• dsurendr
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Adding the system to a Domain would introduce Group/User policies that are set to that Domain users.

This could have affected the install due to some user permissions that are restricted/missing.

You can check your User/Group permissions of your Domain through the Active Directory setup.

Thank you.

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Installing through the GUI works just fine on domain computers.  The domain user account is also a local admin on these machines.  We did not run into any issues like this when installing ANSYS 19.1, just with the Electromagnetic software.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

In that case, can you compare every step that you click on the installation wizard between on domain and off domain machines, because the response file has to match exactly. 

I'm still wondering about this C:UsersPublicAppDataLocalTemp , is there any difference in term of permission when on/off domain ? Is your default %temp% the same when you are on and off domain ?

• ttinker
      Subscriber

I set that temp folder during the manual install, when I was first creating the response file.  The default %temp% was the same for on/off domain machines, which would have been my user's AppDataLocalTemp directory.  I have tried both paths, along with just pointing the temp location to the public documents directory.  Still no luck.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Not sure if you have tried this, but there is a similar issue in this thread

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/silent-software-deployment-results-error-2147213312

Can you try specify the full path for everything ?

setup.exe -s -f1"C:tempresponse_file.iss" -f2"C:templog_file.log"

or even

"ELECTRONICS_191_WINX64Electronics_191_winx64AnsysEMsetup.exe" -s -f1"C:tempresponse_file.iss" -f2"C:templog_file.log"

• Steve Del
      Ansys Employee

The -3 error means that something is missing from your .iss file.  Since you are able to install interactively, I would suggest recording an iss file on the machine if you haven't tried this yet:

setup.exe -r -f1c:tempansysem_interactive.iss

Once it's done installing, you can look at the newly-created iss file and see what differences there are.  You may also be able to use the recorded iss file to install on other machines.

• ttinker
      Subscriber

tsiriaks,

When running the install from the command prompt, I do use the entire path for -f1 and -f2. 

sdel,

The .iss file, that I pasted above, has been reviewed, and they said there didn't look to be anything wrong with it.  I have also tried to create the .iss on multiple computers, with the same results after pushing out via command/script.  The silent install will only work on the machine, on which I created the .iss file.  If I try to push to a new computer, it immediately deletes all of the directories from the C:Program Files, except for the .admin directory. I will try to create the .iss file on a machine in our lab OU, since most of the computers that we push out to are in that same OU.  

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Also, the machines I have tested on before did not have ANSYS installed on them.  I am now trying to create the response file on a machine that has ANSYS installed, and selecting yes to the integration step...just in case that makes any difference.

• ttinker
      Subscriber

May have FINALLY gotten the silent install working, though I'm not sure if it has to do with pushing it to our lab computers in the same OU or enabling the ANSYS 19.1 integration step.  Those are the only things that are different between this .iss file and the old one.  I created the .iss file on a lab machine that had ANSYS 19.1 installed, so that allowed me to enable the integration.  I have pushed it to multiple lab computers, without any issues as of yet.  Thank you for all of your suggestions.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi ttinker@georgiasouthern.edu,

Thank you for the update. So, you meant the issue is with the difference in a prompt that asks if we want to integrate AEDT with ANSYS ?

There should be something else too. This doesn't explain why the response file works when you take the same machine out of domain.

• ttinker
      Subscriber

Yea, I'm not sure if that was the difference, or the fact that our lab machines are in the same OU and creating the response file on a lab machine did the trick...if the reason for the previous install failures was a group policy issue.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Yes, right. Should be something related to group policy that creates some differences and ultimately makes recorded response file to be invalid.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.