3D Design

3D Design

Two steel angles with a block of wood on Top side of Angle horizontal leg

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hello,

Trying to draw to steel angles with a block of wood on the top side of the angles. For some reason when i use Pull, the top side or surface of the angle and the wood block becomes one solid. I'd like the wood block to be a separate solid from angles so i can assign them different materials. I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam  

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Select face and use ctrl + c and ctrl + p. This will copy the face. 

Now use pull for this new face. While using Pull, please select 'No Merge' option. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Keyur

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Did you try 'No Merge' option?

Regards,

Keyur

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Keyur,

I am beginner in Ansys. Where is 'No Merge' option? 

Regards,

Sam

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

It is in the Pull options as shown in image attached. 

Regards,

Keyur

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

The No Merge option, as correctly shown by Keyur, is exactly for making geometry modifications to single parts (like the block you are showing) without the final step of any geometry change, which is an all-over, body-wise clean-up.  In your example, it does not fee like a clean-up, because your design intent is to have a fully independent part.

This is the use case for an Assembly -- inside which there are parts that act and exist independently of one another -- so just select your solids and use the RMB command to Make Component out of it.  Once you have components, you can specify which one to Make Active, and all changes you make are only going to affect that Component.

F

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

@FrankD and @kkanade, 

Sam may be trying to reproduce the model I showed in this post, where I did create three components.

Regards,

Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

I was hoping you would have time to answer the question .

This is what i was trying to do. I drew the wood rectangle. Then i drew the two angles at the bottom face of the the block. When i started pulling , then i got the result you saw in the picture. You were able to show them as separate solids. 

Peter, any assistance would be appreciated. I didn't understand the answers given by the other two gentlemen.

Regards

Sam

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hello Sam, 

If you are trying to create the geometry shown by Peter in different post, you can use following steps. 

1. Create rectangle. 

2. Use 'Pull' to create rectangular block. 

3. Create the sketch for angle. 

4. Now when you come to 3D, you will get a face for this angle sketch. 

5. Use Pull to extrude this angle face. While pulling, please use 'No Merge' option as show in previous post. 

6. Similarly do for second angle. 

7. Then you will get three different bodies in model tree. 

Hope this helps 

Regards,

Keyur

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Sam,

There is so much to learn to begin getting useful results from ANSYS.

I think you already know how to create solid models in some CAD tool (Inventor?). I would start by creating the solid (or surface) models in the CAD you are familiar with, and opening that file in SpaceClaim, which can open most CAD files directly.  If it doesn't open cleanly, then you might want to export a neutral file such as ACIS from Inventor, which is more likely to result in a solid model in SpaceClaim than when you export IGES. Eventually, you will learn enough SpaceClaim skills that you might create your geometry there instead of Inventor.

In SpaceClaim, you can do things you can't do in Inventor, like convert solids to midsurfaces or beams with automatically generated cross sections. Focus on that in the near term.

I'm taking a vacation for five days, so I will catch up with your posts when I return on Tuesday.

Regards,

Peter

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Yes, if you know inventor then it would good start.
      If you are new to Spaceclaim, you can see lots of videos on spaceclaim.com. It is really easy tool to work with.
      Regards Keyur
    • sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thanks KKanade! i was able to do it following your instructions.

i  never used any CAD tool before. Ansys is my first exposure to drawing solids. A lot to learn in ANSYS.

Peter and Kkanade, I appreciate your support in answering questions.

Regards,

Sam

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Can we import from from Tekla to ANSYS?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Glad that you could solve the issue. 

I am not sure about Tekla. What is file format for it? Can it export *.step, *.stp. *.iges, *.x_t, *.stl etc which we can import in SpaceClaim. 

Do you want to import directly in ANSYS? I am from fluids background. So someone from structural can pitch in. 

Regards,

Keyur

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Tekla is a structural software.  do we have the option to import to either Spaceclaim or Ansys?

Thanks,

Sam

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

As far as I know, we can not import Tekla in SpaceClaim. Not sure for ANSYS. You can post it under Structural Machanics category. 

Regards,

Keyur

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.