Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Unable to achieve conformal mesh between fluid extracted volume bodies

• monas23
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am having issues with my meshing. My geometry consists of 2 pipelines and a tank in the middle. As you can see in the picture there are 6 bodies (different colors). To get the fluid volume, I used volume extract in SpaceClaim. Yet it only worked when done on separate bodies (tried to form 1 new part then generate 1 unique fluid volume, but that didn't work). So I ended up in several fluid bodies. 

Hence, my mesh is non-conformal between these fluids extracted volumes. Even if i apply 1 unique shape for my mesh (for example hex), the nodes between bodies are not connected. 

I formed 1 component combining all generated bodies in spaceclaim and assigned shared topology (didn’t work). I even tried to merge surfaces of generated volumes, yet the merge tool didn’t work (neither spaceclaim nor DM). I tried to delete the contact surfaces between the bodies (i.e. the ones enclosing the generated volume) in spaceclaim, yet this results in non-conformal mesh which is even empty from the inside! 

The only thing that kind of worked was tetrahedral meshing using patch independent algorithm. However sometimes the meshing process doesn’t end or ends with errors.

Hope I can get some help,

Thanks in advance

non conformal mesh between fluid bodies

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

use combine tool in spaceclaim. use single body. then use inflation and tet meshing. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• monas23
      Subscriber

Dear Keyur, 

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the combine tool wasn't able to merge my fluid bodies. 

I tried applying since the very beginning before generating the negative volume, it didn't work either. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

once you have all fluid volume, delete face between two volumes in spaceclaim. then use stitch option to create a single volume. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• monas23
      Subscriber

it finally worked! Turns out I only had to untick "maintain elements" while using the stitch option 

Thanks a lot!

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Glad that it worked!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.