General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Unable to define CZM Bilinear or Exponential

• jackhero
      Subscriber

@Sandeep,

With reference to your reply here for the CZM, I followed the instructions from the video as well but still I can not select the CZM Bilinear and CZM Exponential for my model (here). I could only select either CZM Fracture or CZM Separation. Could you please guide me on this issue?

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Jack, I moved your question to a new thread as the old was getting too long and difficult to follow.

Coming to your question, this is strange as I am able to define this without problems in 19.0

Maybe someone else with an academic license can confirm this for me? Also, if you are able to, try and upgrade to the newer version?

What kind of Fracture are you trying to model? Interface or Contact?

I quickly tested this on a simple 2 element model and works without any problems.

Regards,

Sandeep

Best Practices to post on the Student Community

• jackhero
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe I did not clearly explain the problem. Your first image is from the Engineering Data section, at Engineering Data I am able to define all of the CZM (whether be Fracture or Exponential or Bilinear or Separation). I am facing problem in the Ansys Mechanical. The geometry (axisymmetry) is shown in the image along with the boundary conditions.

The contact is bonded and the formulation is selected as Pure penalty. I intend to simualte the contact debonding using the CZM to verify the experimental results, explained in this post.

For the CZM issue I am having is as follows. In the Fracture > Contact Debonding > Material, if I select CZM Frac (fracture based CZM as defined in Engineering data) or CZM Sep (Separation based CZM as defined in Engineering data) no problem occurs as shown in the two images below.

But if I select either CZM Expo (Exponential based CZM as defined in Engineering Data) or CZM Bi (Bilinear based CZM as defined in Engineering Data), I get the question mark at Fracture tree and Solution Tree. And I can not proceed further from here if I choose either Expo or Bi CZM.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jack, 

Those options are available only for delamination, not debonding. Debonding uses contact elements so the pre-damage stiffness is governed by contact elements. Delamination uses interface elements, which can have their own stiffness.

Hope that clarifies?

Regards,

Sandeep

Best Practices to post on the Student Community

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.