Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Unable to open File in Ansys Fluent

• cfdasdf
      Subscriber

Hello,

when running Ansys Fluent locally on my workstation I am unable to click the button "File" on the top left. Therefore I am unable to load any mesh, cas or dat file at that stage.

In the Fluent launcher I can load Case, Mesh etc but after starting Fluent with the loaded files I again can't access the File Button nor can I Check my Problem with the Check Button or Initialize/Start/etc my simulation.

This occurs with different independent msh, cas and dat filed and with Fluent 2020R1, 2021R1 and R2.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Please can you post a screen shot? If you click into the text interface and press Enter a few times what happens?
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber

Hi Rob thanks for your quick reply. Here is the screenshot. When I Press Enter in the TUI the possible TUI commands are listed.
      If I click General -> Mesh -> Scale/Check/Report Quality/Display/Units, none of the buttons react...

• cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      FYI: I was able to open and edit the file on a different workstation. So I assume something is wrong with my local installation (I have already reinstalled Ansys a few times though).
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Do the options in the tree work? I've only ever seen this behaviour with low end graphics, and even then it's rare as Fluent's not that fussy.
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      I can click all options/tabs from Domain to Design and their suboptions will show/open, altough not all suboptions in each of those tabs works...
      Graphics card shouldnt be the problem (RTX 4000). And the confusing thing is, that Fluent has worked fine last week.
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      I can btw. also load cas-file combination etc with the TUI (file/read-case-data), but with the GUI via "File" it is not possible...
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      So the solver is OK but the GUI got scrambled. Unless has a better idea try renaming the %appdata% file and check the graphics drivers. To confirm, clicking on File does nothing or File-Read Case does nothing?
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      Ok I will try that thanks for the information.
      Clicking on File does nothing (same behaviour as if a button is greyed out).
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      Over night I ran a simulation locally on my Workstation using TUI commands. Now in the morning after this simulation has finished, the GUI works just fine again. I haven't installed any new drivers yet nor have I changed any %appdata% file...
      I can't really explain/understand this behaviour but maybe this information is helpful to you.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Sounds like the computer pixies have got bored and gone somewhere else..... If it happens again let us know, otherwise I'm not sure there is a "fix"! or have you got any ideas?
    • cb28
      Subscriber
      I have the same exact issue with a quadro P5000 on 2020 R2 Fluent, nothing I've tried (including renaming %appdata%, reinstalling drivers, and reinstalling Fluent products) has fixed the problem.
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      Does moving your Fluent Application from one screen to the other help? (Assuming you have a two screen setup)
    • cb28
      Subscriber
      Yeah, looks like moving the application to the other screen fixes this issue, thanks !
    • cfdasdf
      Subscriber
      Great to hear, thanks for the feedback!
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.