General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Unable to rotate the disk

• kvforum
      Subscriber

I am using a revolute joint to add joint rotational velocity on the model, but the model didn't work , the rotation isn't on the right place, anyway to fix it? Thanks

This is a project about simulating brake disk, and I want to simulate the friction force

Attached please find my file, this is the C project

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Click the + sign next to the Revolute Joint. You will find a Coordinate System under there. Click on the Coordinate System, in the Details window is the definition for the Origin of the coordinate system. Change the origin to the location you want the center of rotation to be.

You might find the origin is exactly where you want it to be. Maybe you saw where the joint load icon showed up on the image and it is near the geometry that the joint is scoped to, and not on the axis of rotation. I agree that can be misleading, but if you solve the model, do you see the rotation is correct, or is it incorrect?

• kvforum
      Subscriber

I think it is rotating now, but the solution is in red, and only the face is rotating, What did I set wrong?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

In the Transient Structural, you have a Fixed Support on the two brake pads as well as a pressure. The pressure isn't doing anything because of the fixed support. Change those to a Displacement and leave Y Free, but set X and Y equal to 0.

Suppress the center shaft and change the Revolute Joint to be to Body to Ground.  I suppressed the Imported load to get the Structural running. This mesh is too coarse to get meaningful results.

• kvforum
      Subscriber

Thank you so much for your help!, but can I ask what is the total information inside the contact tool?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

There are two contact tools, the one under the Connections folder and the one in the Solution branch. Which one are you asking about?  ANSYS Help has information on both of these.

• kvforum
      Subscriber

the one in connection branch, I will look for that thanks, 

But I want to ask, are there anything else you add to prevent the model become disorted, I tried to increase the rotational velocity, but the model will become distorted, is that the parameter problem or setting problem, thanks. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.