General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Undercut Anchor Simulation under Tensile loading

• Fahim_Mumand
      Subscriber

Following are geometries of the problem, Let me explain the procedure step by step so it will be easy to figure out the problem and provide the exact solution.

The wbpz file is attached to the thread.

Bottom surface of the specimen is fixed and the load is applied to the top of the anchor rod.

Two reinforcement bars are provided transversely at a distance of 175mm each from the center of anchor rod. There are two nuts and washers at the bottom of the anchor rod.

Can someone please help me with the simulation?

My heartfelt gratitude for your assistance in advance.

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      ,nThe first step would be to assign material properties and then create a good mesh for the the parts in your model. There are various mesh controls (RMB>mesh) that allow you to get a high quality mesh, however you could start with the default global settings. If the mesh is course enough reduce the element size. Next you need to assign connections between your parts. If the parts are fixed against each other insert a bonded connection. After this specify the boundary conditions and load. Apply supports(RMB>inserts>different supports are available) where the bottom surface is bolted (you could apply a fixed support), and on the reinforcement bars. Now apply a load on the anchor rod (RMB>static structural>force). Next RMB>solution and insert the quantities which you want to visualize (deformation, stress etc) and click on solve. If you are new to ANSYS you could take courses on https://courses.ansys.com/index.php/structures/ for a detailed understanding of topics in structural simulations. You could start with https://courses.ansys.com/index.php/courses/stress-analysis/. Unfortunately ANSYS staff cannot download attachments, feel free to insert images instead.nRegards,nIshan.n
    • Fahim_Mumand
      Subscriber
      Dear Ishan sir, nThank you very much for your reply, nI took a short course of ANSYS at edX A Hands-on Introduction to Engineering SimulationsnI created the geometry myself in Design Modeler, the first challenge there was that I couldn't subtract the transverse reinforcement bars from the main body (concrete) because they had a point contact. Then I considered the lower reinforcement bar 5 mm below its actual position (implies a compromise in the final results). Please refer to the following snapshot:nI then subtracted the reinforcement bars, anchor rod, nuts, and washer plate from the main body. nIn Ansys Mechanical I assigned the materials to each element and defined the contacts as well. But in the meshing I faced problem in applying uniform mesh method, getting errors (One or more objects may have lost some scoping attachments during the geometry update. You can identify these tree objects by filtering the tree using the Scoping option set to Partial). I searched ANSYS online forms to find the solution for the problem but didn't succeed. Still I wanted to go with the default meshing but the software shows errors (Failed to move file from solver directory to scratch directory: file1.rst), (Your product license has numerical problem size limits, you have exceeded these problem size limits and the solver cannot proceed), which are difficult to solve.nPlease give me some suggestions on how to conduct the simulation. nThanks for your cooperation. n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.