General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Unrealistic deformation due to moment load

• gokbayrak
      Subscriber

Hello All,

I simulate bolt tightening by applying moment and also use bolt with thread. However i see unrealistic bolt deformation in true scale. Bolt seems like enlarging in radial direction. When i check radial deformation of bolt, it seems ok as must be very small. I also check contact status and penetration, everything is ok. Below you can see a section view of deformation

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      HelloArray,nnCould you please give some more details(with images, pointing out where exactly the issue is and rephrase the questions.  You say that Bolt seems like enlarging in radial direction and When i check radial deformation of bolt, it seems ok as must be very small 2 these statements seem contradictory. I see few abnormalities inside the blue region. Is that the issue? Could you check the material property (units especially). Also, could you also post an image of the mesh. Do check if reducing the moment resolves the issue.nnRegards,Ishan.n
    • gokbayrak
      Subscriber

Hello @gokbayrak,Could you please give some more details(with images, pointing out where exactly the issue is and rephrase the questions.  You say that "Bolt seems like enlarging in radial direction" and " When i check radial deformation of bolt, it seems ok as must be very small" 2 these statements seem contradictory. I see few abnormalities inside the blue region. Is that the issue? Could you check the material property (units especially). Also, could you also post an image of the mesh. Do check if reducing the moment resolves the issue.Regards,Ishan.https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/111328#Comment_111328

Hello 1shan,nThanks for your reply. Problem here is visualization of deformation in radial direction (i mean diameter change) does not match with the values. nAs you can see on true scaled video i attached excessive enlarging in radial direction is seen however max. deformation in radial direction is just 0.066 mm. nMost probably, problem is that large deflection is off. In case of large deflection is off for such a kind of simulations applying moment, rotation etc. this unrealistic visualization occur. I solved problem by turning large deflection on. nMay be helpful for someone has such kind of problem.nArrayn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.