General Mechanical

General Mechanical

unrealistic stress in structures

• mssv20140807
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a problem while using static structural case.

I simulated a model which is similar to this picture below (sorry that i could share the wbprz files due to some restrictions). The rivet connected 2 aluminum parts. The contacts between each parts had been demonstrated below. The frictional coefficient was 0.1. I also used Normal Lagrange as the contact formulation, wheares others index were set up as default.

Initial substeps and minimum substeps were 50 and maximum substeps were 200.

The problem here that the stress was unrealistic (>3000 MPa) wheares the deformation was just 1.6mm.

Thanks for your support.

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Could you share an image of the stress contours and also the mesh. What is the location of the highest stress? High stresses are generally seen at sharp corners due to a singularity condition. If this is the case there are a few ways in which you can deal with a singularity. Have a look at https://enterfea.com/stress-singularity-an-honest-discussion/. You also need to check if the mesh is fine enough to give accurate results. Bad meshes result in unrealistic values. Have you done a mesh convergence study?
      Regards Ishan.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.