General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Unrealistically high deformation

• Ascended947
      Subscriber

Hi there,

So I just ran a modal analysis on a simple 3d model of a Hard Disk Drive arm. The results provided at the various modes show unrealistically high total deformation; especially considering that the entire assembly is 13.5mm in length and 0.3mm in height.

I was wondering if I am perhaps mis-interpereting the results, or if I have done something wrong? I have double checked the dimensions in spaceclaim multiple times. No external forces have been applied to the structure, just one fixed support around the circular hole. Is this a common thing? Is total deformation meant to be this high in general?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
    • Ascended947
      Subscriber

Thank you for your swift response Peter

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I noticed that you have a solid body meshed with solid elements. Thin parts like this should not be meshed like this. Open the Geometry in SpaceClaim and on the Prepare tab, click on the Midsurface button, then select the top face and then the bottom face of the thin part and click the check mark. It will automatically create a surface in the center of the thickness of the solid body, and remove the solid body from the analysis.

Close SpaceClaim and reassign the Fixed support to the circular edge now that the face is gone and rerun the analysis.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.