General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Unsuccessful pulley and sliding cable contact analysis

• Alejandro Santacruz
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I am trying to model a sliding cable contact system using CABLE280 (with CONTA177) and a rigid cylinder made of TARGET170 elements using ANSYS Mechanical APDL.

The problem I am having is that the normals on my CONTA177 elements (facing away from my rigid cylinder) do not align with the normals of my CABLE280 elements (facing towards my rigid cylinder). I have tried in many ways, and have not managed, to align the normals of the contact elements towards the target surface.

Therefore, when I use the CNCHECK command it tells me that no contact was detected for the contact pair.

I have created a text file listing all the commands I have used, so I wonder if anyone could offer some help?

I have been trying for many days now and by now I am desperate to find out what it is I am missing.

Thank you so much in advance.

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

We (Ansys employees) cannot offer detailed debugging help here. Perhaps some other forum members can.

I would recommend using WB mechanical instead of APDL, it is much easier to use.

All the best

Erik

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.