Fluids

Fluids

Unwrapping of a 3D wall surface and mapped on to a rectangle

• ashokuvce1526
      Subscriber

Hi 

I had done fluid flow analysis in ansys fluent. Exported the wall shear stress values as .csv file. In excel calculated the time averaged wall shear stress values for each nodes manually (using formula) using exported wall shear stress values and generated the below contour..

The above results should be unwrapped and then mapped to rectangle.

Thank you

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You can get time averaged data from Fluent to do the first part. I'm not sure what you mean by unwrapping and mapping onto a rectangle. 

• ashokuvce1526
      Subscriber

unwrapping is converting the generated 3d results to 2d in a pipe flow in ansys fluent.

Regards 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Given the tight bends I'm not sure the 2d solution will be correct (it'll be a 2d slot too). Can you please explain what you're trying to achieve and why? 

• ashokuvce1526
      Subscriber

i need to cut the 3d pipe one side and make it rectangle to visualise the results in 2d. To  see the results at the boundary.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

OK. We can't open the surface up in Fluent, and I don't think we can do it in either CFD Post or Ensight. You can export a surface profile or position & variable(s) in text format: you can then flatten the data and display externally. 

• ashokuvce1526
      Subscriber

Ok i got that.

Thank you

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.