Fluids

Fluids

“Update Solution Failed” error message

• marklin1188
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm running ANSYS Fluent in Workbench 17.1. After several days of running in foreground, Fluent shut down by itself and return an error message "Update Solution Failed."

Whilst this is the first time I'm solving this case on a new computer, this case had been solved before on another computer. Both computers ran ANSYS 17.1, similar Intel processor, different size RAM (16G now vs 32G before), different size virtual memory, same default MPI.

If you had seen the same error message before and know what caused it, I would appreciate your comment.

Thanks. 

• seeta gunti
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

Have you saved any intermediate data files? If you have any intermediate data files, you run the same case with the intermediate data file and check. Before running the case in cluster, please opt for autosave option so that we don't lose the data.  The error occurs due to many reasons like set up error, UDF issues, network issues etc. For basic test, you can save some intermediate data files and check.

Regards,

Seeta

• marklin1188
      Subscriber
      A related observation is that sometimes when it fails it would give me an error saying "There is no active application."

In the console window it would say:

2: mpt_connect: error: connect failed: No error

MPI Application rank 1 exited before MPI_Finalize() with status 2

Error: There is no active application.

Error Object: (rp-var-value 'pdf/filename)

Error: No journal response to dialog box message:'There is no active application.'

. Internally, cancelled the dialog.

Error: There is no active application.
      Error Object: (rp-var-value 'delta-time-sampled)

Does anyone recognize this error message? If you do please point me in the right direction so it doesn't happen again. Thanks.

• seeta gunti
      Ansys Employee

The MPI error is a generic error with parallel processor, it is difficult to comment on the issue without actually looking into the case. You can try with either older version or newer versions whether the same error is occuring or not.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.