General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Updating Inertial Load In Static Structure Analysis

• mahen
      Subscriber
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nYou will be delighted to learn that the solver has a built-in capability to give you exactly what you want. It is called Inertia Relief and you turn it on under the Analysis Settings in Static Structural. It is only valid for Linear Analysis.nDelete the Acceleration load and the Fixed Support. Inertia Relief will automatically compute the acceleration required to balance the forces. In future posts, insert the image directly in the post instead of attaching the image because ANSYS staff are not permitted to open any attachments.n
    • mahen
      Subscriber
      Thanks for your reply. I performed analysis by turning on inertial relief for static structural analysis. Now, consider that I have to perform topology optimisation where mass of the body will increase/decrease after each topology optimisation iteration. This will change the inertial load (acceleration) significantly and the model will be imbalance. So for topology optimisation and even for axisymmetric model analysis, I can't turn on inertial relief. Thus, I need to update the acceleration for each iteration and this is where I am struggling to figure out the way that can take care of variable acceleration. I looked for APDL command, parameter set using Excel and other tutorials but no luck, n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nWhen using Inertia Relief, each time the Static Structural model solves, the balancing acceleration is part of the solution, so if you have a parametric design, and go through multiple design configurations where the mass changes, each design will have its own perfectly matched acceleration.nI haven't tried using Inertia Relief with Topology Optimization, but I expect it would work the same way, automatically finding a perfectly matched acceleration for each iteration on the mass. Have you tried it and found that it did not work?n
    • mahen
      Subscriber
      Inertial relief does not work for Topology Optimisation as I mentioned in my previous comment. That's why I am seeking help on how to write following acceleration update steps in a APDL code form.nn1. Solve the topology optimisation using acceleration a.n2. Get the mass of the optimised part for iteration 1n4. Calculate new accelerationn5. Replace old acceleration by the new accelerationn6. Acceleration needs to be updated for each iteration because mass is changing after each iterationn7. Repeat step 1 ? 5 until the model converges and final optimised part is getn
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I don't have the knowledge to write APDL programs like this. Maybe someone else will help.n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.