Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Updating model after linking components in Workbench causes WB to crash

• dhume878
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have created two separate mechanical model components in workbench, loaded in geometry, applied mats, and meshed the models. With all checkmarks along Engineering Data, Geometry, and model, I then added a Static Structural component and tried to link the two mechanical models by r.click and dragging the model components to the new Static Structural block. This appears to successfully link my geometry and meshes.

After this step, I get update icons next to model in both of my mechanical models and a refresh icon next to my model in the static structural component. When I tried to update my linked model, Ansys crashes with the following error:

"AnsysWBU.exe encountered a problem. A diagnostic file has been written: C:Users..AppDataLocalTempWBDUmpFile.dmp" and then a follow about about losing connectivity, presumably because Mechanical crashed.

Additionally, when I try to open the now linked mechanical model in Ansys Mechanical, the program crashes with the same error. The behavior is the same if I only link a single mechanical model to the static structural component and try to update or open the model in Mechanical.

I am fairly new to Workbench. Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on? I can't share my geom, but I'd be happy to share other debug files if they'd be useful.

Would it be worthwhile to try linking the geometry in Static Structural and then meshing the entire thing in the Static Structural, rather than meshing in my mechanical components first?

Thanks in advance!

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Yes, you could try meshing in a single static structural rather than linking both. Also try out suggestions in https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/19841/error-in-ansys-workbench-student-version and https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/15395/ansyswbu-exe-error-unable-to-mesh.
      Regards Ishan.
    • dhume878
      Subscriber
      Hi Ishan, these two referenced discussion posts look similar, however both are currently unresolved issues. I will try to combine geom first, and mesh in static component.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Have you tried three Mechanical Models linked to a Static Structural in the configuration shown below? That works for me.

• dhume878
      Subscriber
      Thank you for the feedback. I think that one of my Solidworks parts was being incorrectly interpreted by the Ansys interpreter and that was ultimately causing the combination to fail. I simplified the tree structure of this part in solidworks and was able to combine two mechanical models into a static structural component and run the model successfully.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.