Fluids

Fluids

Use parallel in Fluent, can I report Timer usage every specified time step?

• Tlinxo
      Subscriber

I simulate a wave in Fluent by parallel, can I report the time usage during specified time step auto? How to set?

I only know at the end of calculating can check from parallel/timer/usage, but don't know how to let Fluent report it every timesteps

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You can force the report every time step but I'm not sure what that would be useful for.
    • Tlinxo
      Subscriber
      How can I force report the CPU time usage like the total wall clock time every time step?
      I can't find related parameter in report definition from GUI. Please give me some hints.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you look in the Parallel TUI menu you'll find the commands, you need to add that as an execute command and then record the transcript. Extracting that information from the transcript is going to be tedious, and I still don't know why you want it.
    • Tlinxo
      Subscriber
      Thanks sir, I just looking a way to trade off the accuracy and the COST about case file.
      Everyone know that the mesh size depend on the accuracy normally, but at the meanwhile the smaller mesh size need more calculating resources, like more time cost.
      So I want to try some calculating and record the history
      during same period iteration. Especially when calculating during night, I want it auto report the wall-clock time automatically.
      Accuracy is easy to get just compare to the experiment data and get the statistics error value.
      But the computer cost ,like 'reliable' calculating time, is bothering me for a long time and still has no idea for get the value efficiently.
      BTW, about the 'reliable time' to use, is wall-clock time better or CPU kernel time? Cause I found even I didn't start up calculating, the CPU kernel, Elapsed, and user time still increased. And wall-clock time only increases when calculating start.(feels more like the actual calculating time)
      Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I think it's all defined in the manual, but remember every operation in the run takes time, ie reporting the time statistics. As not all operations use cpu (they're waiting for data from somewhere) the various timers don't all match. Why not reset the timer when you start the overnight run and then review the data in the morning? It'll report a break down of results so no need to report time per time step.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.