Fluids

Fluids

Using GPU in FLUENT

• Jamasp
      Subscriber

I'm trying to use GPU for CFD simulation in FLUENT, but I'm not sure GPU is using for computation. This is what I found in Console:

"Inhomogeneous process distribution on multiple machines. Or processes per machine not an exact multiple of GPGPU's per machine. Or not enough GPGPU's per machine. GPGPU computing disabled."

Does this mean GPU is not available for simulation?

The graphic card I'm using is GeForce GT 640. I used parallel/gpgpu/show in console. Here's what I got.

CUDA runtime version 0

Driver version 5000

Number of GPUs 0

Is there anything I should install to be able to use GPU?

Thank you,

Jimmy Azarnoosh

• pgl
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jimmy,

The ANSYS Fluent GPU capability was designed to work with the high memory GP-GPU's like the NVIDIA Tesla K40 or NVIDIA Quadro K6000 with 12 GByte memory, or the newer Quadro GPU's with even more horsepower and memory. NVIDIA has published an application note here.  I am not certain how well a GeForce family GPU will perform. However here's an excellent video showing initial set up and how to verifying that the GPU is present and activated.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck.  

• Jamasp
      Subscriber

Than you so much.

• Donghyun Yim
      Subscriber

HI.

As your clip, I turned on gpgpu usage on temperature with "solve/set/amg-options/amg-gpgpu-options/temperature" command.

But the fluent solver shut down before calculation with this setting. (It worked well before using gpgpu)

Your video clip shows further setting in the case of radiation, but my model utilizes user-defined-scalar and temperature calculation.

Do I need more setting to use gpupu well?

Thanks.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I would check if your gpu is supported, and unless it is don't use gpu acceleration. Look in here for gpu details   https://www.ansys.com/solutions/solutions-by-role/it-professionals/platform-support

• Jamasp
      Subscriber

Thank you for your comment. It seems that the GPU that I have is not supported by ANSYS. I couldn't find it in the list. The GPU on my PC is GeForce GT 640.

Please let me know if this GPU is supported by any chance.

Thanks,

Jimmy

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Already highlighted by my colleague for the list if supported GPGPU https://www.ansys.com/solutions/solutions-by-role/it-professionals/platform-support
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.