Fluids

Fluids

Using more cores via HPC License

• JesusER
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I have recently obtained an Academic Research License to use for my research project. I would like to improve the simulation time by using more cores with the licenses (shown below). Would anyone be able to assist me on how to use the HPC or increase the number of cores to run a Fluent simulation as well as to update multiple design points? I use ANSYS 2020R1. I have a computer with 8GB RAM and with Intel(R) Core(TM) i-5-7300HQ CPU processor. 

ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical and CFD (1 task): 3 task(s) Lease

ANSYS Academic Research HPC (per core): 16 task(s) Lease

Thanks in advance,

Jesus Esquivel Roman

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You can use with a single solver license (you have 3) 16 (inbuilt) +16 HPC. For you cqan use Remote Solve Manager taking your computer as sort of resources and create jobs for your design points. You can then choose if you want create a job for each DP or number of DP's for a job or all as a single job.

• JesusER
      Subscriber

HI Amine,

Thanks for replying. In order to do that, do I submit the solution to RSM in the solution properties and increase the number of processes? If I increase the number of processes to more than 4 I get an error message stating 'Job is too big to fit in the queue local with the currently assigned machines'. Do I need to configure anything?

Kind regards,

Jesus 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That will depend on your hardware set up. Within Ansys we just shift the case file over to the cluster and then launch Fluent on that using a queuing system rather than RSM. If the machine is solely for your use I'd just launch Fluent on it using as many cores as necessary & that you have licenced. 

• JesusER
      Subscriber

Hi again and thanks for replying,

So I need my computer to be connected to a HPC cluster to use the cores I have licensed (since my computer is only able to use 4 cores only), correct?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Yes. 

• JesusER
      Subscriber
      Thank you! I will contact my university to have access to its cluster and submit Fluent jobs. Have a good week.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.