Electronics

Electronics

Via array simulation and further simulations

Tagged: ,

• gtheis
      Subscriber
      Hello,nFirstly, I am a total beginner with ANSYS in general. I want to explore the simulation of a via array in a PCB. Whereas the top metal should be at constant temperature (i.e: 25 degC) and the bottom metal should inject 1W of power. This would allow me to extract the thermal resistance of the via array. This was done in a paper (Thermal Modeling and Design Optimization of PCB Vias and Pads, using Icepak 2019)nFurther I'd like to add a chip (plastic QFN-48 chip) on top of this via array and insert its two-resistor model parameters (given in the datasheet) and simulate it. In the cases mentioned radiation and convection can be ignored.nAs I am a beginner with 1-month trial (I need to evaluate the software as quick as possible to see if we switch to ANSYS) I am creating this thread to have further support/references/direction while reading the documentation.nFurther I would have somewhat of complex PCB model with several chips (with single and two-resistor models) and only have natural convection and radiation. I have measurements from this last simulation I intend to run. The big problem is that the current software used is not delivering close results to the experiments and the support is taking too much time (and thus blocking the project). So it was decided to see if ANSYS and Icepak could be faster/easier, have results close to the experiments, and then we would switch the software.nThanks in advance!n
    • Satyajeet Padhi
      Ansys Employee
      Hi gtheis,nYou could certainly go over the documentation at https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/prod_page.html?pn=Icepak. nIn the link above, you will also find some tutorials and videos on how to use Icepak efficiently. Please go over the tutorials in order to gain a good understanding of how to use the software. Meshing is a critical step in any CFD tool to get accurate results, so please pay extra attention on how to mesh a model and the associated best practices. nYou will also find some additional videos on Icepak on our YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0lZXwHtV6OlLzn_cN6VNX5kBKKLq35JH.nBest, nSatyajeetn
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.