Fluids

Fluids

Volume Difference in Fluent

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to generate a report that will result in the volume difference between the fluid domains, Vfinal - Vinitial.

I looked at the expression report definition but I couldn't manage to create the expression. Fluent returns to error of invalid expression.

Thanks!

Utku

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

What do you want to do: you cannot deal with that with Reports if you want to access last time results / initial result. If you know initial volume thant you can off course use Reports and Expressions.

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello Amine,

Initial volume info is known. I would like to find the difference between the initial volume and the final volume. The volume of the fluid is decreasing during the simulation. I generated a volume report (called report - def - 0) definition to identify the volume in the timesteps then tried to generate an expression in the following form,

Vinitial - report-def-0

I initialize the simulation and computed the first result. However, when I started the simulation, Fluent exited with an error message. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Utku

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You can create a constant field function with that initial volume. Assign that CFF to a report definition (say volume average). Afterwards crate an Expression Report definition where you make the subtraction. That is what I can recommend now without using any UDF or scripting. In next releases there will be better solutions for that.

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello Amine,

I followed your example however fluent stopped working with the error: Report definition "volume-average" is not valid Field is not available

I guess that I am still doing something wrong.

Utku

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.