Fluids

Fluids

Vortex in a bucket with a hole at the bottom – How to model hole where water and air will flow.

• Salim
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to model a vortex in a bucket similar to this - 

However, i am usng the student version of fluent (No CFX) - how do i go about setting up the boundary conditions to allow the flow of water and air through the same hole?

Thank you

Salim

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Nasty problem. Are you actually getting an open core vortex in your system?  In reality you'll have some pipework on the outlet, or it'll drain to an open space.  I'd add something on the bottom so you have a couple of boundaries to let water out and air in. 

I probably ought to ask which hemisphere you're in.........  

• Salim
      Subscriber

Cheers for the reply! 

Yes it is as open core vortex - the outlet leads directly to another container - no pipe work.

We are in Manchester trying to finish our masters year project but everything is closed due to the pandemic ?

Where are you based?

What could we add to the bottom to allow both air and water to flow through that hole?

Thank you

Salim

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I'm in Sheffield, and may well have trained a lot of your colleagues over the years. We're all closed up too, mostly working from home which makes the commute easier! 

I'd put a "pot" on the bottom, which lets water out the bottom/lower sides & air in through the top/lower sides. 

• Salim
      Subscriber

Is this what you mean?

That could work! 

Thank you

Salim

• Salim
      Subscriber

ahh and will put a whole hole in the pot for water to leak out of!

Thank you

Salim

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Pretty much, make it a bit deeper though and maybe a bit more separation from the bucket. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.