Fluids

Fluids

Wall condensation in Fluent

• ham_nola
      Subscriber

My domain has pure vapor (slightly super heated steam) flow over a flat plate at temperature well below the saturation temperature. I need to simulate condensation at the wall and film formation! 

Any leads on how to do this in Fluent!

Thank you.

Regards

• José Mantovani
      Subscriber

Hello ham_nola!

If you can define more clearly what you actually want to simulate, it will make it easier to understand. I suggest per hour you think about whether your flow is turbulent or not and read about multiphase models in some FLUENT user instruction manual.

I particularly, have never simulated a problem like this, but soon some friend here in the community will read your publication and help you.

I also suggest you take a look at the link below the SIMCAFE website. It has some simulations and maybe it helps you in something, it has some simulations of heat transfer and Nusselt problem.

SIMCAFE website link: https://confluence.cornell.edu/display/SIMULATION/FLUENT+Learning+Modules

Regards and good studies,

Mantovani.

• ham_nola
      Subscriber

Thank you Jose. 

Steam enters a pipe at 375K. Due to cooling at the walls some steam condenses and turns to water liquid. 

I model it as an axi-symmetric 2D domain and details as shown in figure above.

• José Mantovani
      Subscriber

Now its better than before. According to the velocity we can assume an incompressible flow operating with incompressible fluid, it can then be simulated as steady state.

As I said, I didn't simulate anything like this but I already used the multiphase model to model hydrodynamic cavitation. I think if you do it the same way this can work.

Define your model as multiphase, with 2 phases and condensation as a phase change mechanism. Define in phase 1 as water vapor and in phase 2 as liquid water. I think that's enough, disregard the adiabatic wall condition and connect the energy / heat transfer equations.

I do not know if this is the right way, test and see what happens. I hope helped you in a good way.

Good studies,

Mantovani. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.