General Mechanical

General Mechanical

• Adisa
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am doing static analysis, and I got this warning:

Two or more remote boundary conditions are sharing a common face, edge, or vertex.   This behavior can cause solver overconstraint and is not recommended, please check results carefully.  You may select the offending object and/or geometry via RMB on this warning in the Messages window.

Can anyone halp?

• ajdavies
      Ansys Employee

Hi Adisa,

Do you have a boundary condition that has a common edge?

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Adisa, If you think you set up your simulation correctly. You can ignore those warnings.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Adisa,

I always ignore those warnings because I know my Boundary Conditions do not conflict. I drew two figures below to illustrate when BCs are and are not in conflict. In these figures, there is a red displacement BC and a blue displacement BC. There is only one DOF being set by these BCs and that is one normal to the edge (or face if this was 3D) and let's say it is a 1 mm displacement. There is a common vertex (or edge if this was 3D). Think about how that vertex is being told to move in the two figures. In the top figure, it has to move vertically up by 1 mm and horizontally by 1 mm. That vertex can do both of those without a conflict.

Now think about the bottom figure, that common vertex is being told to move at 45 degrees by 1 mm and to move horizontally by 1 mm. It's impossible to satisfy both of those requirements simultaneously. That is what the warning is for.

Regards,
      Peter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.