General Mechanical

General Mechanical

water leakage from the water tank when earthquake load is applied

• harsf
      Subscriber

HI,

I am modelling water tank sloshing behaviour due to earthquake loading.

Programme runs without errors , but water leakage occurs from the edges of the tank. I have used solid186 and fluid80  for wall and fluid modelling respectively. Can anyone help?

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Just wondering why is contact not defined between fluid and container?

Regards,

Wenlong

• harsf
      Subscriber

Thanks for replying,  

This is what i have done.   x_face  , y_face , z_face are the faces perpendicular to the x,y,z directions which relates to both fluid (liquid element) and solid (tank element) interface surfaces.  This command snippet worked for a small scale model with a acceleration.In small scale model it didn't leak and expected type of sloshing can be seen.   But when i applied this to the real model with real dimensions and also with the Earthquake related real acceleration vs time data, it leaked as the above images. Can you help please? 

• HuiLiu
      Ansys Employee

Hi, 

Fluid80 element is legacy type contained fluid element, but for sloshing it should have a free surface, ie. not fully contained. You can use the current technology element fluid221 or 220 instead. It is recommended to have share topology between your fluid body and the tank, ie. shared nodes between fluid and structure. Or at least define MPC contact between them if share topology creates difficulties for meshing (which shouldn't be an issue for your model as it is not a complex shape). Fluid element (uncoupled) doesn't have displacement DOFs so I don't think the coupling command is going to have any effect on it.

What kind of results are you interested in seeing?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.