General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Weird deformed shape after plasticity

• Rodrigo28
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I'm simulating an experiment regarding compression of an orthotropic plate. The deformed shape looks right if I do a linear elastic analisis, but after applying plasticity (von mises), the deformation around the loaded area disappears. I'm attaching some images. 

elastica vs plastic deformed shape

I'm applying CP command to couple Uz DOF of all nodes in the loaded area to the central node of this area, because the loading plate of the experiment was unable to twist.

Is this normal? I'm replicating another author's simulation, and his deformed shape (with plasticity) looks like the one on the left of the above picture.

Any help is appreciated.

• Rodrigo28
      Subscriber

I'm thinking this problem might be solved applying frictional contact on a bearing surface for the plate and on the loading metal plate that applied the pressure. I revised several compression discussions in this forum but I don't understand completely which how to accomplish this contact surfaces and apply the force on the rigid metal loading plate.

This is what I got right now: I'm using SOLID186 for the simulation.

From what I learnt, I have to make the rigid surfaces TARGET and the specimen CONTACT, applying an assymetric pair. My question is, how can I apply force on the TARGET rigid surface of the loading plate? My final goal is to obtain a force - displacement (Uz) of the upper central node of the specimen (this I know how to do).

Do I need to merge the areas and lines of the specimen and the loading plate before meshing? How can I select the CONTACT and TARGET areas here, if they are superimposed? 

Please, any help will be appreciated .

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Under the "any help" category, I suggest you cut the model down to 1/4 of the above geometry and use symmetry boundary conditions on the two cut planes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.