General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Weld Connection between Solid and Surface

• Luke.dykstra
      Subscriber

Hello All,

I am working on a tank lifting confiduration and trying to simulate lifting of a generator tank. The lift lug and welds have been modeled as solids as shown in the screen shots. The tank side wall stiffeners are currently mid-surfaced. I have tried to connect these using a bonded contact but seems to create inaccruate results with high stress concentrations between the surface and solid. I was hoping someone with more experience in ANSYS simulation would be able to provide feedback on how to best connect a surface to a solid that provides acceptable stress and strain results.

The welded connection to the surface body would be only at the imprint shown. 

Any feedback or additional information on the best way to connect these bodies would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Luke,

Break the contact patch into three rectangular patches by extending the inner line on the long patch.

Extract the forces going though each patch and use those forces to do a hand calculation on the weld stress.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.