3D Design

3D Design

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hello,

trying to create a fillet weld between two surfaces. i blended the two surfaces as shown below. i need to blend or form the surface at the triangle shown at end. i can select the horizontal and vertical edges of the triangle but not diagonal. Once i form the triangle surface using blend i will pull it  along the length of the plate to form the fillet weld. The issue that i have is  i can't select the diagonal of the triangle.

Thanks,

Sam

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Sam

There are many things to tell you.

In the state you are in right now, the Blend is being previewed, so you cannot select the temporary (see how it has the surface-styled grid on it?) geometry for further blending.  So, hit the check box in the Blend tool or the Enter key, and then Blend the next bits of geometry in a successive operation. 

You might also think about sketching the triangle and pulling it to make the Weld fillet. Or Filling the triangles to make a closed-off pit of surfaces and then combining with the solid to make a solid-including-Weld.

F

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Frank,

Your first solution worked. Thanks!

we i pull i need to set it to No merge. correct?

Could you explain to me "Or Filling the triangles to make a closed-off pit of surfaces and then combining with the solid to make a solid-including-Weld"?

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Frank,

what is the difference between:

1. Sketching the triangle and pulling it to make the Weld fillet.

2. Or Filling the triangles to make a closed-off pit of surfaces and then combining with the solid to make a solid-including-Weld?

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

There is no difference; it is simply your preference of operations -- some people hate to sketch, some people think that way and like it. 

In general, I was trying to illustrate that you either think about automatically adding the result of your operation to the overall touching solids (as you correctly guessed, that is what Add Vs No merge does) so just choose what you want. OR, you think about creating your "piece" (not "pit", that was a typing error) and Combining it with the rest of the geometry, as your requirements dictate.

F

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.