Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Wellbore temperature distribution

• colinjames
      Subscriber

I would like to find out how to go about modelling a horizontal wellbore using ANSYS design modeler. Then, simulation of temperature profile for that well.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

You can start with sketching first. Then use different 3D tools like Extrude to create the geometry. 

Regards,

Keyur

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I'd also suggest sketching out what you want to see: typical deviated wells can be several km long and that may be somewhat ambitious with a student licence! 

• colinjames
      Subscriber

Thank you, the videos you suggested are really helpful for the designing aspect. Any suggestions on how to proceed with temperature analysis along the wellbore using Fluent or other solvers? 

• colinjames
      Subscriber

Hi, thank you for the response. The horizontal well I intend to design is attached below. Is this too design complex for a student license? I also have access to a full license with my university if required. Also, any suggestions on how to proceed with temperature analysis along the wellbore using Fluent or other solvers? 

Horizontal Wellbore Schematic

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

I think you should be able to do it with student license. 

You can think of using only 2D instead of 3D. 

Please start with sketch. Then created the geometry 2D or 3D in SpaceClaim. 

Once you create the geometry, then we can check. 

Then you can create a new thread under Thermodynamics Category for further help. 

Regards,

Keyur

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It's not too complex, the issue tends to be cell  count: you've got a (usually) 6" bore that's about 8000 ft long. With 10 cells across the diameter and aspect ratios of 5 the cells are only 5-6" long. 

As Keyur suggests 2d is probably a good start, equally, 3d is also fine but you may want to reduce the domain size. I'd also be careful with the facet tolerance, and turn the Facet Quality (DesignModeler -> Tools -> Options -> Graphics up to maximum. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.