General Mechanical

General Mechanical

What contacts to impose in a 3D model of the knee?

• DamianoRU
      Subscriber
      Hi to everyone I'm currently working on the 3D modeling of a human knee joint. The aim is to perform a structural analysis on the femoral cartilage. The model is simplified and includes only the femur, the femoral cartilage and the tibia. My doubts are about the imposition of contacts between the anatomical parts. I fixed the base of the tibia and applied a force/displacement/pressure on the top of the femur. The problem is that I'm not able to avoid the penetration between the femoral cartilage and the tibia. Obviously before starting the simulation there is a gap between the femoral cartilage and the tibia because the tibial cartilages and the menisci are missing. I imposed a bonded contact between the femur and the femoral cartilage, while for the contact between the femoral cartilage and the tibia I imposed a no separation one. I would like to understand better what type of contact is better to impose and also which advanced options I have to modify (Type, Behaviour, Formulation, Small Sliding, Pinball Radius etc.).
      Thanks in advance to anyone who will answer!
    • Surya
      Ansys Employee

Please see if this thread helps - Knee joint contact problem leading to convergence issues ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum
      Also, information on different types of contacts and their options can be found - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=264&v=OXJb9jq8KkA&feature=emb_logo
      And for more detailed information, please refer to this documentation as well - Definition Settings (ansys.com)
      Hope this helps!
      Thanks Surya
      How to access the ANSYS Online Help ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum
      Rules & Guidelines ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.