Photonics

Photonics

What is In, Ip, and Id in charge solver results of photodiode simulation?

• Mariah Ha
      Subscriber

Hi,

Can anyone please explain what is In, Ip and Id in charge solver? The "I" results is obviously the total current of the structure. "In" is normally the electron current, but if so, why the curve is different when I plot the result "In" from the anode , it is different from "In" plotted from the cathode side. Same for "Ip" and "Id".

tahnk you.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Thank you for raising this question. You understanding is correct:
      After discussion with a colleague, the subscripts n and p are not swapped. This is because the cathode collects electrons and the anode collect holes. Their absolute values are the same:

• Mariah Ha
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much for your answer I appreciate. I just have one concern regarding the total current "I" . There is an "I" in the cathode and an "I" in the anode which are not the same when I plot them which means there are different and they don't refer for the total current in the whole photodiode. If that's right , then how would I calculate the total current in the photodiode, is it the sum of "I" cathode and "I" anode?
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      How large the difference is? Since this is discrete method, they may not be exactly the same. I tested this case: GaAs pin diode - Lumerical Support
      I would suggest that you do a mesh convergence test.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.