Fluids

Fluids

What is the difference between U and Uy?

• abd fs
      Subscriber

Hello experts,

I simulated an unsteady two-dimensional turbulent simulation. I followed two parameters with time (Uy and U)

1- At the outlet of the domain I followed the parameter Uy with time (report definition- surface report - Area-averaged velocity magnitude Uy)

2- I created a point at the outlet center of the domain or I followed the parameter U with time (report definition- surface report- vertex average)

My question is: what is the difference between 1 and 2?

Best regards,

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      1/ is the area average of that velocity at the whole outlet section and 2/ is the vertex average at the center of the outlet. So different reporting and might lead to different results.
    • abd fs
      Subscriber
      Dear Dr Amine Thank you so much for your quick response.
      1- Is the vertex average at the center of the outlet represented by: U (m / s) presented in figure 9 equal to U = Sqr (Ux2 + Uy2) ?
      2- What does the mean area average of that velocity Uy?
      3- Does Uy mean the velocity component U along the Y axis?
      Best regards
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Which figure?
      Velocity Magnitude is the magnitude of the velocity vector.
      Area average and all other surface integration or volume integration are well described in the manual: please read the manual. Area average of quantity phi is just summing the phi_i*A_i and dividing by the whole area A_i being the face area magnitude.
      Uy sounds after U in Y direction.
      In order to get accurate answers learn to raise proper questions.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.