General Mechanical

General Mechanical

What is the easiest way to find a body’s shell thickness without sifting through the Geometry tree?

• mscal
      Subscriber

I have a shell model with several hundred bodies comprised of about 30 distinct shell thicknesses. I need to check my model against the engineering drawings where the thicknesses are specified, but I am finding it very difficult to do so efficiently within Mechanical.

I know I can set the Geometry display style to "Shell thickness", but with 30 different thicknesses the rainbow color map is difficult to evaluate.

I know if I highlight a body under Geometry in the structure tree, the thickness is listed in details. But the Geometry tree is totally disorganized, and the individual bodies have meaningless names. So I have to select a body in the tree, go then find it in the 3D model when it's highlighted.

What I'd like most would be either (1) click a body in the model (not in the structure tree, but in the 3D model itself) and be able to see its thickness, or (2) some kind of "Filter by shell thickness" too.

With (1), even clicking a part in the model and having it located for me in the Geometry tree would work (like how Spaceclaim has Locate in Structure Tree) but that doesn't even seem to be possible.

Any ideas? Many thanks,

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Select the surface body, right-click and Go to Corresponding Body in the tree. There you can view the property.

Regards Ashish Khemka
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.