General Mechanical

General Mechanical

When will material fail- ANSYS Analysis

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

Hello, can anyone clarify my doubt: Suppose I do static structural analysis of steel (for my fabrication project), what are the factor should I include or consider while choosing material and also how to find load a which this material fail under compressive static loading.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Ananth,

Please see this excellent post by peter.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

OK, thanks for the answer. But is it possible to analysis 2D model in static structural. I have done once, but after meshing it changes to 3D model.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

please see how the analysis type was set to 2-D at 4:26:

If you have this turned on, then it is very likely that it is just the thick shells visualization being turned on. You can toggle it from View>Thick Shells and Beams. You can also double check in the solution information.

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Guidelines on the Student Community

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

Hello, can you guide me from choosing desired parameters as I am going to fabricate for my project. All I need is to find load that can withstand and optimization as well. This has to be used in real world. I have attached image that I am about to design after getting permission from faculty. Can you help me throughout process on ANSYS structural problems.Initial stage

After extension

Project idea

You can also visit 

to watch idea till 1:20.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

This depends on what is the end result you are looking for? So, answer questions like:

Is it the deformation in the beams that is of interest? Max. load you think the structure can carry? Are you just looking to model the movements of the structure...if so can rigid body dynamics be used? to what extent do you need to model the structure...can periodicity be accounted for?

I would recommend you to establish your problem statement to the best you could before starting an analysis. 

Based on your above question, It looks like you are trying to analyze the load carrying capacity of a structure. So, start with using beams and joint connections.

Here is one discussion that you can start with.

Another relevant discussion.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

Do you have personal FB Id so that I can readly talk to you. Are you from India. Please carry me for this project analysis.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

I am legally not allowed to do that as an ANSYS employee. Just create a new discussion and ask your questions on the student community in the future, you are more likely to get better help as many skilled engineers from ANSYS and outside actively participate here. If you haven't already, please take a moment to review the Guidelines on the Student Community.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.