Fluids

Fluids

Where to give thermal conductivity of porous media in ANSYS FLUENT?

• vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      Hi Everyone,nI am trying to model flow of propane and oxygen through the porous media(Laminar Flow).nI am using species transport model and I enabled porous and reaction option in cell zone conditions. I had given mixture template for both fluid domain and porous zone and I am using by default mixture properties such a thermal conductivity, viscosity, etc. for mixture template in Materials section.nMy doubt is where to give thermal conductivity for the porous media because keffective=Porosity*kfluid+(1-porosity*ksolid, Where I can define ksolid?nAs per my case, kfluid will be thermal conductivity of mixture, right?nIs my modelling approach is correct?n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      It's the solid material property of whatever is set as the porous material. n
    • vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      I agree its Solid material property but in my case I have to choose mixture template for enabling the reaction panel in cell zone condition. So, do I have to specify thermal conductivity in my case?nIf I will choose porous material as solid then reaction panel will not come in cell zone condition, right?nI know the permeability and porosity of the material and if I will choose as a solid in cell zone condition then I am not able to put inertial and viscous resistances and porosity.nMy first question is that is my modelling approach for my problem (Flow of gases over the porous media) is correct?nand second if it is wrong then how to proceed further?nand if it is correct then I think I dont have to mention thermal conductivity of solid, is that correct?nplease provide answer of my all 3 questions.nThanks in advance.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Top of the panel is the fluid mixture, bottom is the solid part. Note the panel is from a test model so are defaults having just opened it. nn
    • vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much for answering,, It means my way of modelling is correct and I have to mention solid part at the bottom, right?nPlease reply this and then I will close this discussion.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You need to set the solid material, which is what's causing the restriction in the flow volume. n
    • vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      Let me tell you the steps which i am following.n1) I created two domain's one is fluid domain and other one is catalyst domain.n2) from Model I am choosing species transport- mixture (propane-air)n3) Materials menu, Mixture-Propane-air (For fluid and catalyst domain), Solid - catalyst (for one domain) Aluminium-walls of all domainn4) Cell Zone Conditions- propane-air for the fluid domain ( porous option is not enabled, only reaction is enabled for fluid domain)n Material-solid catalyst- for the catalyst domain ( porous option is not enabled)n Material- propane air- for the catalyst domain- (porous option is enabled to give inertial resistance and porosity) and in bottom I have chosen solid catalyst as a solid material, not aluminium....Is that right?nArrayArrayArrayPlease see this and provide your valuable feedback.n n
    • vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      I want to know which input is correct Fig 2_cell_zone_catalyst_mixture_template or Fig_3_cell_zone_catalyst_solid or both these inputs are required for my case?nIf I will give Fig 2 inputs then I can give inertial and viscous resistance, porosity and for heat transfer solid catalyst so thermal conductivity it will take from material panel automatically.nand if I will give Fig 3 input then I cant be able to give resistance and porosity only thermal conductivity it will take and that also without reaction which doesn't seems correct to me.nPlease enlighten me with this.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I'm not permitted to open the attachments. If the fluid is supposed to flow through the catalyst set that zone as fluid, and in the Porous media panel set the solid material as catalyst at the bottom. n
    • vinaychandrakar11
      Subscriber
      As per your comments Fig 2 attachment input seems correct because I can give resistances, porosity and solid property and Fig3 input is not correct. Thank you so much Rob.n
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.