General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Why am I seeing a circular pattern of stresses in 2D Plain Stress results of a cylinder

• MMS1148
      Subscriber

I am doing 2D static Structural Analysis of a cylinder with ID=1.3125 in OD= 1.097 in. Pressure of 0.2 Mpa is applied on the ID in outward direction. Model is constrained by applying cylindrical support ( Radial=Free, Tangential =fixed).

I have attached the result of Normal Stress along x-direction. I am unable to understand how these circular patterns be interpreted (If I am doing analysis right way)

Please help me understanding the results.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You plotted the Normal Stress component in the X-direction like this:

The blue part can be understood by knowing that the radial stress on the inside face is a compressive stress of 0.2 MPa.  If you create a Cylindrical Coordinate System, you can plot the radial stress like this.

The red part of the Normal X-axis Stress can be understood by knowing that the hoop stress on the inside face is a tensile stress of 1.13 MPa and that can be plotted in the Cylindrical Coordinate System on the Y-axis.

• MMS1148
      Subscriber

Got it. I really appreciate your time and help. I was confused and I was not able to find its explanation from any of the other internet resource. You made my day.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Great, please mark my post with Is Solution to show other members that the discussion is Solved.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.