General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Why do my static structural results show a bonded surface has 0 pressure?

• kmd14
      Subscriber

Scenario: My simulation comprises 4 bodies. This can be imagined as 4 cylinders encasing each other (please note the geometry is more complex than a cylinder, they are asymmetric. The centre-most body is bonded to body2, body 2 is bonded to body 3, then body 3 and body 4 are considered frictional (with CoF ~0.5). A load is applied to the top face of body 1, and the bottom face of body 4 is fixed.

Some of my simulations have run fine displaying pressure/ frictional stress (all the simulations I am running are very similar, they just have slight geometric alterations i.e., cylinder size of body 3 may vary slightly, or angle of bodies 1-3 inside body 4 may differ). But the contacts/setup are very similar, and majority run but some of my recent ones appear to have '0 pressure'. I can also confirm that my simulations have converged, so I'm running out of options on new things to try. I specifically need pressure as opposed to just using SX, SY and SZ (or normal stresses) as my surfaces are curved / asymmetric.

1. Why is this happening?
      2. How can I overcome this issue? I've tried playing with the settings, although this wasn't necessary before so I don't know why it would be now (i.e. I have tried flipping the contact/target directions, tried updating stiffness from programme controlled to 'each iteration', played with mesh contact size)

Any advice on how I can fix this would be much appreciated. I can see any other result on the named surface, just not pressure, which is the main thing I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance!

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      Can you please insert some inline images describing the problem in some more detail?
      -Aniket
      How to access Ansys help links
      Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum
    • kmd14
      Subscriber
      Sorry I can't include any images of my model, the cylinder example best explains my issue. Here's a simple diagram explaining the scenario I described above.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.