3D Design

3D Design

Why does Conformal Periodic Meshing fail? – Material Designer does not give a reason

• EagerToLearn
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I have a rather large RVE measuring 350x350µm² containing roughly 800 fibres (9µm diameter) which I want to analyze using the material designer.

Conformal meshing works just fine (no matter if the RVE is 10 or 50µm thick). However, when I want to apply both conformal and periodic meshing, the Material designer just states: "Meshing failed" (No other error). If I set the thickness to 50µm and the maximum element size to 1µm it works, but unfortunately my memory is not sufficient for this kind of calculation. When I reduce the thickness to 10 or 20 µm, it does not work anymore (again just "meshing failed" after a short period of time).

In short:

• 20µm thickness, Conformal Meshing -> Works
      • 50µm thickness, Conformal Meshing -> Works
      • 50µm thickness, Conformal and Periodic Meshing -> Does not work
      • 50µm thickness, Conformal and Periodic Meshing, maximum Element size 1µm -> Works
      • 20µm thickness, Conformal and Periodic Meshing, maximum Element size 1µm -> Does not work

My question: Why does the material designer not give a more detailed reason why the meshing failed? And how can I make it work at a thickness of 20µm (so that I don't need as much memory)?

Would it help if I devide the matrix into multiple segments?

Regards

Mike

• EagerToLearn
      Subscriber
      To narrow down the error I cut the big RVE down to just one fibre (and the matrix surrounding it). It still did not work. When I model the same exact geometry "by hand" it works just fine.
      The big RVE was created using a Ironpython script, so this must be source of the problem. Since it is a different issue (and probably not the meshings algorithms fault) I will start a new thread (https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/27993/sketch-created-by-python-script-causes-meshing-to-fail/p1?new=1)
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.