Fluids

Fluids

Wind Turbine Power

• Mohammad Nasreddine
      Subscriber

Hello Everyone,

I was simulating my wind turbine (3 blades) using CFX at steady state. The power converged to a value of 290 W, while I designed my wind turbine to give me 700 W approximately. Does anyone know what is wrong? I thought that maybe ANSYS is only calculating the power for one blade but I am not sure how to know. 

I would appreciate any help.

• rfblumen
      Ansys Employee

To verify that all blades are being used in the power calculation (where Power=Torque*Angular Velocity), look at the region used in the torque calculation to ensure it represents all three blades.

If all blades are being used in the torque calculation, then things to check are:

-Boundary conditions (i.e. inlet wind velocity, angular velocity)

-Model convergence 

If the above checks out, I would look at velocity vector plots from 10%, 50%, and 90% blade span in CFD-Post.  An easy way to do this is create isosurfaces of radius at the appropriate locations and plot vectors on these surfaces.  Do the resulting velocity triangles at blade leading edge/trailing edge agree with your design calculations?  Is the leading edge flow incidence as expected?  Is there flow separation on the blades that's resulting in the reduced power output?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.