3D Design

3D Design

Workbench Geometry Import Unit Issue

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello,

Whenever I try to import a .iam or .ipt file through either Design Modeler or SpaceClaim, it transfers to Mechanical with length unit as meters. In original file length unit is millimeters. I am using ANSYS 19.1. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks in advance!

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi, 

Yes, you can change units from the drop-down in the Main toolbar in Mechanical. Please see this blog post by one of our Channel Partners.

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Best Practices on the Student Community

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello Sandeep,

I fixed another unit issue with that post earlier this year. But now I have observed something else. When I upload my model through Inventor, my simulation works. But when I upload it through spaceclaim, simulation doesn't converge with the same configurations. So I was wondering if it was because of the imported length units.

Thanks!

Utku

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Check the size in the solver. If the units are changing due to the import route you could be solving a different length scale: ie mm v m or m v km depending on what's happened. 

• utkug
      Subscriber

Hello,

I checked the solver units and they are same because I fixed them manually. Here is what happened so far: While model imported from inventor converged with 200 substeps, model imported from spaceclaim converged with 500 substeps. I checked the results and they were slightly different. My guess about that is difference in number of elements and nodes. I wonder why ANSYS is meshing same geometrical domain with different number of elements even if they have same meshing settings.

Thanks!

Utku

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Utku,

Please use inline images to make your case? Maybe we can spot something? Check the Mesh Statistics. If the geometries are the same then there shouldn't be a difference. Yes different CAD files will have certain extra features such as vertices, split faces etc which can cause slightly different mesh but the difference you are talking about seems quite drastic, so something else might be different and this is probably not a true apples-to-apples comparison.

Regards,
      Sandeep

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.