Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Workbench Meshing Running out of Memory?

Tagged: , ,

• rprichard
      Subscriber
      I am trying to create an extremely large mesh (roughly 700mil cells) using Workbench Meshing in 2020R1. I am running on 3 Linux machines in the cloud, each with 350GB RAM (>1TB total).nI have created the archive (.wbpz) file, which I upload to the cloud machine, open, and select ?update? for the pertinent mesh cell. After running for a bit, Workbench tells me there is insufficient RAM. Based on past experience with a mesh half this size, 1TB RAM should be more than enough to make a mesh of this size.nWhat's going on here? An internal limitation of WB Meshing? An issue utilizing multiple machines?n
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Hello, nI assume you are generating patch confirming tet mesh. nFor tet mesh, generally, 1GB can generate 3-4M cells. nAlso please check following post. nRegards,nKeyurnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning ForumnHow to access ANSYS help links
    • rprichard
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the response. The mesh is largely tetrahedral (I believe it's patch conforming - whatever the default is), but a significant chunk (going to guess 20%) is also swept hexahedral.nA conformal mesh is needed here, so parallel meshing is not an option.nBased on that math, a single 350GB machine should be sufficient for around a billion cells. What then do you suggest the issue is? Is WB Meshing equipped to handle meshes this large?n
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      WB can generate more than billion mesh. nAs first step please check if you can generate a coarse mesh. If mesh fails then it will need to work on geometry and mesh settings. nIf coarse mesh is generated then check the cell count. Please increase cell count gradually by changing mesh sizes. nRegards,nKeyurnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning ForumnHow to access ANSYS help linksnn
    • rprichard
      Subscriber
      I've already generated quite a few meshes in the 300-400mil cell range. This mesh is identical to an existing mesh but with the sizing controls refined to double the element count.n
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      What sizing controls you have changed? nJust by reducing size on any face (or any other sizing) by half may not guarantee to increase mesh size by factor of 2. It may increase beyond that. nPlease change sizing so that mesh is generated to the mesh size you want i.e. around 700M cells. nRegards,nKeyurnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning ForumnHow to access ANSYS help linksnn
    • rprichard
      Subscriber
      Thanks, I am aware of how sizing controls affect cell count. I multiplied the cell sizes by a factor of 2^(-1/3).n
    • rprichard
      Subscriber
      Any idea what the limitation might be?n
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Can you please increase size by factor of 1.2 and check. n
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.